Wednesday, May 21, 2014

May 20: Call Me Maybe


Last night I finished a story, Call Me Maybe.  This is my story about the 'return' of the Iron Maidens of the Zombie Apocalypse.  Technically, it should happen after several other stories, since I only just wrote Distracted By The Sexy a few stories ago.  I do have plans to write a couple of undead stories -- Maps Of Vampires That No Longer Exist and Hip Bone -- that should take place before this story.  But you write first whatever inspires you at the time.

I've done this sort of thing before.  After a series of stories in which Grandpa Anarchy and Nina Ballerina have switched places -- Curse Of The Teenager, I Was A Teenage Ballerina, Damsel In Distress, Vows, X Chromosome -- I wrote Fate Maid To Order, which is intended to take place a long time later but calls back to those stories and the fantasy world the last two took place in.  I had the idea in my head and had to write it right away.  That's how it goes sometimes.

My goal for this week was actually to finish Return To Amethyst 3 - Spirits Of Stone, but I had trouble finding the inspiration to finish it off  right.  Instead I was inspired to jump in and work on World Of Hero, one of my older stories that needs a complete rewrite.  I actually finished part one, which I called World Of Hero 1 - Save The Girl, so technically I've finished two stories this week.  Right now I'm in the middle of World Of Hero 2 - Going Off Script.  My ideas for how the story plays out are changing and being updated daily, but at least I'm reworking the story into something better than it was previously.

As for Call Me Maybe, it's not a strong story.  I did the best I could but the central joke was always weak and probably broadcast to the reader, so there's not a lot of surprise at the ending.  But I like the central story idea overall.  If I think of a way to improve it later I will, otherwise it's just one of my lesser stories, but at least it's also quite short - less than 900 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment