Sunday, February 3, 2013

February Writing Report 2/3/2013


Technically finishing Turncoats on Jan 31st counts as my first Grandpa Anarchy story for February, since I've already written four for January.  But in any case, I sat down tonight and struggled my way through to the end of the story that I was calling Planet Earth vs. World Devourer.  I actually deleted a bunch of paragraphs at the end -- the story is long and there's no action, and when one lawyer suggests a trial by ordeal, I went into a section where the judge was suggesting several different ordeals and the other lawyer was objecting to them, and I realized that the story was already too long and getting more boring and drawn out by the moment.  So I cut straight from the suggestion of a trial by ordeal to the scene where they're about to perform the ordeal by fire.  It gave me the chance to end with a few snappy lines of complaint from Grandpa Anarchy.  I think it works, mostly.

It needed a better title though.  I considered shortening the name to something like Galactican vs. Sol 3, but that wasn't really a better title to the ear, and was worse in that it communicated less information (or at least, was less obvious about it).  I thought about it and then settled on There Ain't No Justice, which works both as a description of a trial of law that ends in a trial by ordeal, and also a fun inside joke since Bronze Beach Bum uses the expletive TANJ (There Ain't No Justice, from Larry Niven's novels) and I had Grandpa Anarchy use it at the end too, to reinforce the hidden reference to the title.

I was planning to get more writing done this weekend, possibly work on a Tai-Pan story or draw something, but eh.  At least I got one thing done.

So!  2013 Writing Goal of writing one Grandpa Anarchy Story a week:

January 2013

Jan 19:  DarkFireDragonNinja  (begun several years ago)
Jan 24:  OmniGen Again  (begun Jan 23)
Jan 25:  Veteran of the Bone Wars  (begun Dec 30)
Jan 29:  Nemesis  (begun Dec 10)

February 2013

Jan 31:  Turncoats (begun Dec 8)
Feb 3:  There Ain't No Justice  (begun Nov 29)

More importantly, I spent all Friday working on my Anarchy World Background file, which now lists just about every hero, villain, and other character mentioned in any of my finished stories, along with what stories they appear in and information on them.  I dropped this into Gene's dropbox since he's working on a Dark Dr. Dark story, and he saw it right away and was actually working on said story this weekend. ^_^  And, I should add, doing this allowed me to go through a lot of my finished stories and do some editing on them, although I was primarily rereading them for references to various characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment