Thursday, January 2, 2014

2013 Goals Final Tally

Last January I wrote:

"For years I've followed up my November NaNoWriMo success with a pledge to get more writing done for the new year, and for years I've failed.  I used to blame my addiction to the online game City of Heroes, and it's certainly true that I wasted a LOT of time playing that game (wasted, but thoroughly enjoyed).  But the lack of an MMO to turn to has not automatically resulted in me writing more.  I've watched more movies, I've done much better at getting 50 minutes of exercise a night on the treadmill, I've read a lot more news and generally goofed off on my iPad a lot.  But I haven't written that much more."

So my big goal for the year was to write more -- which I accomplished in spades.  I definitely think I've learned something this last year -- it's become much easier for me to put a story together when I want to.  I kind of went in spurts, failing to write for several months and then writing a whole bunch in August and September.

Here's my final tally on my 2013 goals:

1.  Write a Grandpa Anarchy Story a week.

I actually wrote many more Grandpa Anarchy stories in 2013  than I needed to to reach this goal.  My final tally was 61 stories for the year.

January 2013

Jan 19:  DarkFireDragonNinja  (begun several years ago)
Jan 24:  OmniGen Again  (begun Jan 23)
Jan 25:  Veteran of the Bone Wars  (begun Dec 30)
Jan 29:  Nemesis  (begun Dec 10)

February 2013

Jan 31:  Turncoats (begun Dec 8)
Feb 3:  There Ain't No Justice  (begun Nov 29)
Feb 5:  City of the Monkey God  (begun Nov 26)
Feb 7:  Future Me  (begun Jan 31)

March 2013

Feb 10:  Roll of the Die  (begun Feb 10)
Feb 11:  Trouble Focusing  (begun, Nov 21, in theory)
Feb 19:  Dead Again  (begun Feb 18)
Apr 24:  Most Dangerous  (begun Feb 09)

April 2013

Apr 27:  The Thing in the Suitcase  (begun Feb 16)
June 24:  An Inconvenient Airship
June 25:  Continuity Error
June 27:  The Devil in the Details

May 2013

June 30:  Dark Anarchy
July 1:  Ruse
July 1:  The R Word
Aug 3:  Space Kraken

June 2013

Aug 3:  Triple Aaar!
Aug 4:  Take Me Back to Constantinople
Aug 4:  The Chef that Time Forgot
Aug 5:  The Time of Your Life

July 2013

Aug 6:  Endangered Species
Aug 7:  Anarchy Is Forever
Aug 8:  Brothers and Sisters
Aug 12:  Self-Made Man

Aug 2013

Aug 13:  Hackernaut
Aug 15:  Gutbucket Magic
Aug 17:  Questionable Judgment
Aug 17:  Zero Hour

Sept 2013

Aug 18:  Your Stupid, Stupid Minds
Aug 20:  The Statue Got Me High
Aug 22:  Black Moon Rising
Aug 24:  Pick of the Litter

Oct 2013

Aug 24:  Pandora's Closet
Aug 25:  Magic is a Bitch
Aug 26:  Transformation Station
Aug 26:  Youth is Wasted on the Young

Nov 2013

Aug 27:  Historically Accurate
Aug 28:  Curse of the Teenager
Aug 28:  I Was a Teenage Ballerina
Aug 29:  Vows

Dec 2013

Aug 29:  Damsel in Distress
Aug 30:  X Chromosome
Sept 02:  Fate Maid to Order
Sept 26:  Deep House of Horror

2013 Bonus Stories:

Sept 26:  Crystal Weenie
Sept 27:  Arbor of Pain
Sept 27:  A Good Start
Sept 28:  Hero's Sacrifice
Oct 09:  It's a Dirty Job
Oct 15:  That Sinking Feeling
Oct 21:  Serum Theorem
Oct 21:  Final Act
Oct 23:  Tryout Trouble
Oct 27:  A Glitch In Time
Oct 29:  Return to Amethyst:  Miles to Go Before I Sleep
Dec  18:  Unfinished Business
Dec 31:  Return to Amethyst:  China Town

This goal  was a smashing success.

2.  Write a Tai-Pan story each month.

I did not achieve this goal, but I wrote or finished 6 stories and that's a vast improvement over what I had done in the last several years.  So success, I say!  Final tally:

Feb 16  The Pilgrimage of Ian St. Ritz  (January Tai-Pan story, 10,000 words)
Feb 23:  Space Miner Blues
Feb 23:  Banker Blues
Mar 07:  Hair of the Throug that Bit Me
Mar 17:  Cursed Be Ye Who Moves These Bones
Aug 31:  Ballerina Blues

3.  Work on anime fanfiction / original fiction each week a little bit.

I really accomplished nothing on my other original fiction.

As for my anime fanfiction story Girl's School, I did nothing most of the year but in November for NaNoWriMo I tackled it and did a great deal -- I finally connected up the chunks of story that I had by writing the final missing scenes and missing arc, and finally tackled the second half of the third magical girl adventure, which is as far as I've written the story.  I got to 50,000 words for November before I finished this arc so I still need to work on it, but I've started publishing my story again now that I have everything lined up to go, and I should be able to publish everything else I have in the coming year, for better or worse (since the story kind of goes off the rails a bit when we hit the magical girl stuff).

So overall I'd consider this goal a success as well.

4.  Draw a picture each month.

I did not draw a single thing in 2013.  Perhaps not surprisingly, we didn't publish a volume of the Artist's APA either.  I only got 1 submisison for my June 2013 publication date, so I didn't bother to publish that, but I had intended to at least come up with some pages for my own submission and then publish what I had.

5.  Edit Grandpa Anarchy stories for publication.

I made some progress on this goal but didn't achieve it.  I arranged the stories in order that I'd want in my first book, and reread through them and did editing and rewriting.  I really need to convince some friends to read through and edit what I have at this point, and/or assemble it for publication and then ask for copy editing.  Also I requested/comissioned a cover illustration from someone, but since I haven't set dates I don't think it's been a priority for anyone to help me on any of this.

I assembled a group of stories for a potential 2nd book as well, but haven't done more than that.  At this point I have enough stories for at least 3 books if not more, but not all of them are probably worthy of publication.

6.  One-off story/pamphlet thing for Emerald City Comicon.

I did not do this.  It's something I could attempt again for this year's con I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment