Tuesday, September 27, 2016

New Stories This Week

I wrote a story last Friday called Bump.  It was one of those ideas that I had when I was half-asleep, and I got up and jotted it down and then didn't work on it for a couple of weeks.  I was certain at the time that it was a sure-fire story idea with a killer punch line -- but when I got around to actually writing it, it seemed very weak.  Still, I hadn't written anything in more than a week so I was glad to get something written at least, even if it's probably not publishable in its current form.

Two weeks ago I had a nice backlog of four stories, and I thought I was getting ahead of the game here.  Then I got lazy and as of this morning I had a backlog of just one story and the thing I wrote on Friday that isn't publishable.  So I wrote another story this morning, and I like that one so I've got a backlog of at least 2 stories now, and one that maybe I can fix.  But I really need to write one or two more of my ideas into actual stories this week.

The story I wrote this morning needed a sidekick, and I went looking in my story ideas folder, which I haven't visited in more than a year I think, thanks to having worked on an entire book of linked stories.  What I'm writing now for the web site are mostly random stories (after the first six, which wound up being kind of linked).  My story ideas folder is crammed full of random story ideas from the past several years, and in most cases I don't remember what those ideas were, so opening them up is kind of fun.  I was looking for a sidekick idea for my story, and I found a story idea about a sidekick named Capsaicin Kid, and that fit perfectly with what I was writing, so I kind of combined two ideas into one story.  I renamed the story Code Habanero.

My goal for the rest of the week is to write at least one or two more stories.  I have a lot of ideas to work with, but turning them into actual stories is always the tricky part.  ^_^

Right now I'm trying to figure out a story for a bug-related supergroup, and I have another story idea about a cockroach-based sidekick  and that's another situation where two different but related ideas can probably dovetail into one single story -- if I can just figure out the setting/plot and punch line.

No comments:

Post a Comment