Monday, March 11, 2013

Ghosts In Space


I spent this morning going through all of my old Tai-Pan story files.  I had a lot of files saved as Windows 95 documents, or even older win or wordperfect documents of some sort that I couldn't even open, or in some cases saved as Open Office odf files, which is all well and good but I like to use rich text format because everything can read it.  In many cases, I had one story file saved in 2 or 3 formats.  I also had a lot of stories saved with cryptic titles from back in the day when you couldn't save with multi-word file names, so that "CURSEDBE" was the file for Cursed Be Ye Who Moves These Bones, and BULLET was the file for God Is A Bullet.  Even worse, I had a lot of files saved under the working file name rather than the eventual story title.  INVITATION turned out to the the file for the story Whiskey Season.

Once I'd cleaned everything up I glanced at a few of my actual story files.  Technically I should be working on writing Bitch, but after reading through The Villainy You Teach Me last week, and having just managed to finish Hair of the Throug That Bit Me, I'm very aware that some of my long-dormant Tai-Pan stories are actually substantially written, and wouldn't take a huge amount of work to finish off.

Chief among these is my pirate spaceship ghost story Cursed Be Ye Who Moves These Bones.  It doesn't have nearly as many problems as I remembered, and it is nearly fully written, with a half-dozen scenes left to complete (most of them are partially written or sketched in).  I think I could finish it off in a week if I work at it.

So that's my goal for this week:  finish Cursed Be Ye Who Moves These Bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment