Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Rolling!


I just realized that I haven't posted anything here in ten days.  I've been very focused on my writing.

Last Saturday was Writer's Night.  I read one of my Grandpa Anarchy stories -- Questionable Judgement.  People liked it okay, I guess.  (There weren't that many people present).  It doesn't have a strong punch or surprise ending like some of my stories have, but there's nothing majorly wrong with it either.

Anyway at the time I had spent most of the day planning to write and not getting very much written.  I was at 27,944 words -- just barely on schedule to finish with 50,000 words by November 30th.  But!  As noted before I've been working on brand new chapters -- I'm no longer trying to connect parts of story that were written with gaps in between -- and once I really sat down to work on it, things flowed very easily.

Thus on Sunday night I was at 31,226 words -- 3,282 words on the day.  I thought, "I wonder if I can keep that kind of production up?"  Monday I wrote 2,670 words.  Tuesday was a heartbreaking day -- I wrote 3,311 words, then accidentally overwrote my story file and had to rewrite everything before I went to bed, or I'd have gone to bed depressed and forgotten by the next day exactly what I'd written in those scenes.  I was up until Midnight, but I got everything rewritten.

Tonight I wrote another 3,774 words, which brings me to 40,981.  At this pace I could be done in 3-4 days.  I don't think I've ever finished early on NaNoWriMo -- I've always been pretty steady and managed to achieve 50,000 words on the last day or 2nd to last, but never managed to finish days ahead of schedule.  So that's my goal now.

I've nearly written two new chapters here too -- and I estimate I need 2 more chapters to finish off the whole Kahotep story arc.  I won't get that far by 50,000 words, but maybe I can keep writing and finish by the end of November or early December.

I started my magical girl story arc in 2007 I think... I'd be extremely happy to finish it off before year's end.  I don't eve know what I'd do with myself then.  Figure out if I could wrap up the main story in a couple more chapters, I guess.

I mean -- I've actually written scenes for a "genie" arc that comes after all of this -- but I'd want to move the main story along before dropping that in.  That's probably a 1 or 2 chapter arc, not a huge one like the ones I've been writing.  But I do have other ongoing plots I'm dealing with at the same time, so I know some of the directions that the story goes in at that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment