Monday, December 2, 2019

NaNoWriMo Wrapup 2019


I wrote 62,234 words for NaNoWriMo.  I didn't write anything after Thanksgiving.

What I accomplished:  For the second time I attempted to finish a "short" fanfiction story called Nerima All-Stars and I wrote more than 50,000 words and am still nowhere near finished.

My original idea was that several gods and one half-god and one demon decide to play a game.  They  transform the Nerima of Ranma 1/2 into a world where heros and villains exist, then they transform some of the main characters into heroes and villains.  I actually had this idea that I might do up to three separate arcs, each with a different villain... but of course the story spun way out of control and the first villain arc alone is still unfinished.

I wrote my original opening scenes for this story in 1999 or 2000, then set them aside for years.  Finally in 2016 I set out to complete the story during NaNoWriMo.  I wandered off on a tangent where Ranma winds up in the world of Lina Inverse (Slayers) in order to learn how to become a sorcerer, and that was a massive chapter that covered one single side plot before the big battle.

This time around I managed to finish up all of the scenes that lead up to the Ranma-in-Slayersville chapter, and then I launched into an Akane-in-heaven chapter.  I'm not sure how successful this was.   It felt like it was long and somewhat pointless, and I added some drama and weirdness that made it even longer, and... I don't know, the whole middle of my story involves two long side stories where characters go to other dimensions for long stretches of time.  By the end, everyone was back together again but I have yet to write the final chapter which figures to be a massive one since it's the final battle with the big bad villain.

I think my plan is to work on this for December.  I was working on some Grandpa Anarchy stories in September and October, and trying to get back to publishing stories on my Grandpa Anarchy blog site, and then in November I completely forgot about doing that.  December I usually try to write a Christmas ghost story for our December writer's night, but almost every year this means dropping whatever I was working on for NaNoWriMo and jumping on something completely different, and I really dislike doing that.  I want to finish this fanfiction story so that I can publish it, so screw the Christmas story, I won't do one this year.

That said, it's December 2nd and I've written virtually nothing in the last five days, just jotted down some half-scenes today.  It'll take at least another 50,000 words to finish this thing, so I need to get working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment