Monday, August 7, 2017

I Was A Reincarnated Teenaged Love Vending Machine


Over the weekend I stumbled across something that I had no idea existed although I probably should have known.  I read lots of translated online manga, and I was aware that some of them came from light novels, and I've even read some translated light novels online so I knew that those existed... and logically a light novel (which does not require great writing skill -- or any at all) is much easier to create than a manga or comic -- and yet it hadn't occurred to me that there might be thousands upon thousands of translated light novels available on the web.  I mean, they're basically fan fiction stories without the benefit of being based on a novel/manga/anime/game.  In this case Sturgeon's Law probably doesn't go nearly far enough, but... well, let's discuss just one weird sub-genre.

Apparently in Japan and China, and possibly other parts of the world, it's very popular to write a story in which your character steps in front of a truck and gets reincarnated into a new world.  Perhaps (almost certainly) this is a generic fantasy world, and perhaps (quite often) it's based on a fantasy MMO -- although being reincarnated into a dating simulation game is apparently also quite popular (and leads to some of the more X-rated stories I imagine).  Another thing many of these stories include is the idea of "cheat codes" -- an apparently incompetent god or goddess gives our protagonist "cheats", basically giving you amazing powers so that you rule this new world as an overpowered individual.

These stories appear to be so common, in fact, that there appears to be a significant sub-sub-genre in which the overpowered hero or heroine does nothing with their abilities.  They sleep all day, or run an inn.  Everyone is shocked that they don't try to take over the world.

You can search on these subjects:  reincarnated into another world, reincarnated into a game world, cheat code, reincarnated into a monster, reincarnated into an object.   (Really!)  There are hundreds of tags to search on to help you find the exact type of story you're looking for, and many of the titles are so helpful that the entire story plot is right there in the title.  These are the ones that amuse me the most.

Because There Were 100 Goddesses in Charge of Reincarnation, I Received 100 Cheat Skills.  Yes this is an actual story title, and you should not be surprised at what's coming.  It's all there in the title.

Although I am Only Level 1, but with This Unique Skill, I Am the Strongest.  Who needs 100 Cheat Skills when you have This One Unique Skill?  (Sounds like a clickbait title).

I'm OP, but I Began an Inn.  Well, not everyone wants to conquer the world.

Blessing from the Goddess and Transfer to Another World! ~No Thanks, I Don't Need a Special Ability~  Because this whole cheat code in the new life thing is done to death, apparently.

All of these are also actual story titles:

I Seemed to Be About to Be Considered to Be a Sacrifice, I Am Fine.  But I Became a Woman.
I Reincarnated As a Girl in Another World, but it Was Okay Because I Was Together With a Girl
Charging Magic With a Smile ~ Infinite Magic Power After Being Reincarnated into a Different World
After Reincarnating into This Game World I Seemed to Have Taken Over the Controls of Status
I Decided to Not Compete and Quietly Create Dolls Instead
I Became the Villainess's Brother
I Reincarnated and Tried to Become a Genius Child Actor.  I Want to Quit.
I Ended up as the Hero's Mother After Reincarnating?!
I Have Reincarnated into [Welcome to the __ Town!] Townsperson A, But the Last Dungeon Was Right Around the Corner

The last one strikes me as one of the oddest:  reincarnated as the guy in the fantasy game who says, over and over, "Welcome to ___ Town!"  I haven't actually read this story -- or rather, I often feel that by reading the title I've already read the whole story -- but I'd imagine it can't go on for too long without the protagonist breaking out of this role.  Then again, you could be a vending machine:

I Was Reincarnated Into A Vending Machine.  51 chapters!  Chapters are quite short mind you.  Even so... 51 chapters on a guy who's a vending machine?

My Entire Class Has Been Reincarnated – I Became the Weakest Skeleton!
Evil Dragon Reincarnation ~Even If I Am Reincarnated into the Other World I Am I~
Reincarnated as a Dragon’s Egg ~Lets Aim to Be the Strongest~

Naturally if you're going to be a monster, then be a dragon.  Hopefully "becoming a dragon's egg" is an euphemism for being reborn as a dragon -- otherwise your life is going to be quite short with a painful ending.

Anyway I don't know exactly where I was going with all of this, i just found it all amusing.  ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment