Monday, October 31, 2016

NaNoWriMo: What To Do?

NaNoWriMo starts at midnight tonight, and I haven't actually figured out what I'm going to work on.  Last week I came up with a list of things I can do for NaNoWriMo:

Option One - Grandpa Anarchy:  write more Grandpa Anarchy short stories.  Eh, I did this in July and I've been writing 1-2 stories a week since August.  I'm up to 235 short stories written, more or less, and I'm publishing 1 new story a week on my web site.  I don't really need to force myself to write even more.

Option Two - Grandpa Anarchy:  specifically finish longer Grandpa Anarchy stories:  Second Class, Oz on the Half Shell, Unpossible, Patron of the Arts, World of Hero, or the novel I tried to write 2 years ago, Serial Anarchy.  I do want to get all of this done, and some of these stories will take a significant amount of time and work (Oz on the Half Shell is mostly written however), but at the same time... I kind of want to do something other than Grandpa Anarchy.

Option Three - Fanfiction:  work on Girl's School.  This is my default option that I usually choose.  Last year I was supposed to finish the long adventure arc I've been on for years, but I didn't quite manage it.  Plus I've written more stuff beyond that arc that I want to complete.  Plus I stopped posting to fanfiction.net again, and I need to finish things off.  I've been struggling for years to get at least the three big magical girl adventures arc done.  At the same time, I worked on this last year and I kind of want to do something different.

Option Four - Fanfiction:  finish my other fanfiction stories, specifically A Goddess In Oz, but also I Can See Clearly Now, or that superhero crossover story I plotted and partially wrote years ago, Nerima All-Stars.  Actually I'm pretty interested in working on Nerima All-Stars and maybe A Goddess In Oz.  I Can See Clearly Now is a five-chapter story that I never finished chapter five of.  It wouldn't be hard to complete, but I just haven't done it.

Option Five - Original Fantasy:  work on my fantasy story Otherworld Blues, which I tried to work on over a year ago for Camp NaNo in July.  I have a lot of ideas in my head and some stories plotted out, but I really struggled to get going on it the last time.

Option Six - Original Oz story:  work on Jubbei in Oz, an Oz story I plotted and partially wrote years ago.  I still like the idea and characters, and would like to complete and publish at least one of my own Oz stories at some point.

Option Seven - Original Fantasy:  I have several old fantasy stories that I wouldn't mind actually working on and finishing.  Land of Nottodd is one (I had to look up  the title -- it needs a better title).  Like a lot of my old stuff, this is a beginning with some fun characters and dialog but not a great deal of plot, that manages to roll along for a couple of chapters before I quit.  Quite possibly it needs to stay buried and unfinished, but I still remember laughing at some of what I wrote.  There are several other fantasy stories like this that have less to recommend them.

Option Eight - Original Fantasy:  Come up with something entirely new.  At this point, with so many unfinished stories waiting to be worked on, and less than 24 hours before NaNo begins, this is not the best option.

I'm leaning towards working on my "other" fanfiction stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment